Yo, Dear Reader, a bit of annoying news, the potatoes have been hit with blight, which means I’ll have to watch and take the tops as it spreads, thankfully it isn’t very advance and hasn’t affected the tubers yet. It’ll mean a smaller yield and I’ll have to clean up well after I dig them up, but it doesn’t affect anything else so I may stuff cabbages in there or cauliflower, or more squash….maybe peas. You can tell I’ve accepted that nature is fickle, can’t you, Dear Reader? It was mostly bad luck in that I couldn’t spray in time because of the rain that likely caused the blight. It happens, last year I had frost killing them over and over, that was worse. I’ll learn a lot from this and fix what I can and keep growing and growing. Not as a person because I’m already perfect…what? Where are you going?!
Two skip, five neighbour and one wild.
So, I did mention I was going to tackle the dangerous, deadly slope of doom…which as it turned out when I moved a bunch of pots has settled thanks to the weight of the pots and was nearly a three step up climb, not great and not something you’d want to do, mostly because I’m nearly into the field and way too close to the top of the wall for comfort, but for clearing out it was just right. I managed to lay a good bit of matting, some mysteriously turned out and I’ll ask no questions, I popped the red Crocosmia in the corner, then I had two old pots of newer yellow ones, I found these in bunches, these I tossed at the gap in the rose and the wall where the nettles pop out. Somehow I managed to get it to fly over the rose and sink perfectly into place. Twice no less. Then it was a matter of matting what I could, mostly stuffing it in under the rose, putting back pots and tying the arch to a nail I hammer into the pillar for something. It wasn’t supposed to last, but I want it back the other way, towards the wall, before it falls over. Now I have more space, much less nettles, and much nicer situated plants. This is still a garden atop junk, but it does look good.
I’ve started transplanting the plants that I grew from cuttings and separating the seed alpine strawberries. It’s nice to get to a point where the roses are strong enough to go into bigger pots for a year or more. I have five I grew from a neighbour’s roses, three roses on is a red one I want, one might be a blue/purple one and the other might also be a red, but lighter. I was supposed to mark them and then I was rushed so here we are over a year later and I have no clue of the colour. The other two are from bouquets dumped in the skips, red if they aren’t dyed. Red is a much rarer colour to get really rich when it comes to roses. So, wish me luck, Dear Reader, it’ll be a while before I know what’s what. There’s a lot of work to come yet, Dear Reader, the garden ebbs and flows what’s abundant one year isn’t always going to come in another, bar the raspberries those are freakishly productive, what might be slow this year will thrive next year. It’s all part of the garden cycle and all I can do is push onwards, ever onwards. I’ll be back again later, Dear Reader, until then stay safe and take care.