2017 Update: Due to a problem with Photobucket, see here, there will be a lot of recipes without photos. I will be slowly redoing the recipe pages, as best I can, but many other posts will be impossible to replace. I’m doing this in my own time, while continuing to update the blog with new recipes and posts. If you’d like to donate, any amount appreciated, you can do so here. The site will always be free, the recipes will never be locked behind a paywall, but this is a lot of additional work. I’m not demanding or begging, just putting it there so if you feel like repaying my hard work you have that option. I don’t make any money from the site, all that I do here is to help others, I couldn’t charge for that.
August 2017 Update: I’ve never tired of these pies, dear reader, all manner of vegetables ave gone into he topping, including my own cauliflower, the gravy has seen turkey and beef mince in varying measures. It’s an extremely useful recipe to have in the freezer just peel of the lid and heat in the oven. Growing your own vegetables might take more time sadly.
One of my original recipes and a firm favourite of mine. You can also add grated carrot, about 2 large carrots, and peas to the mince. And Sweet Potato and Parsnip to the mash.
For The Meat
450g Minced Beef or Ground Turkey
4 Rashers of Lean Bacon (Smoked if using Turkey)
Olive Oil for Frying
For The Gravy
1 Beef Stock Cube (Chicken if using Turkey) dissolved in 400ml Water
1/2 Large Yellow Onion, Chopped
2 Tbsp Cashew Butter
1 Tbsp Thyme or 3 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
1 Tbsp Parsley 3 Tbsp Fresh Parsley
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Garlic Granules
1/4 Tsp Salt
Olive Oil for Frying
For The Topping
800g Cubed Butternut Squash/Hokkaido Pumpkin/Harlequin Squash or Same in Sweet Potato
100g Red Cheddar, Grated
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
Makes Three Servings.
1. Heat some Olive Oil in a pan and fry the Minced Beef until cooked through, drain and set aside.
2. Fry the Bacon until fully cooked and then chop fine and add to the Minced Beef.
3. Fry the Onion in the Olive Oil until soft, being careful not to burn. Then add the stock and bring to a boil, leave for a few minutes and then add the Cashew Butter and Herbs. Whisk everything together and cook covered for about ten minutes or until Cashew Butter has dissolved and gravy has thickened.
4. Add cooked Gravy to Minced Beef and Bacon, stirring together until well combined. Spoon into bowls.
5. Steam the Butternut Squash and when cooked add Salt and Pepper then mash slightly and add Red Cheddar and then mash until smooth. Spoon mash over Minced Beef mixture. Cook in the oven at 175c (Fan) for 25 minutes, then grill for remaining 5 until top is slightly crispy.