They’re wonderful with a Buttercream filling.
Tweaked from Here. These are a study, filling cookie, but one I find hard to stop eating once I start. There is a strong flavour of buckwheat in them, but I really enjoy it, it adds something to the cookie.
225g Buckwheat Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
105g Light Brown Sugar (or 150g Demerara Sugar for a crunchy cookie)
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Makes 22 Cookies or 25 with Demerara Sugar.
150g Icing Sugar and 37g Butter make perfect amount of Buttercream.
Can be halved. Weigh the Egg, crack into a jug, whisk thoroughly and then weight out half. Half everything else and prepare as usual.
1. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Add the Flour and Baking Soda to a bowl and set aside.
3. Cream the Butter and Sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy, then beat in the Egg and Vanilla Extract until combined.
4. Stir in the Flour mixture with a wooden spoon until a firm, slightly sticky dough is formed. Form into a ball and cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 175c (Fan). Scoop 1 Tbsp worth of dough and roll into a ball, flatten onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving an inch between Cookies, and repeat until all dough is used up. Place one tray in the fridge if baking in single batches. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden and slightly firm to the touch. Let cool on tray for 10 minutes and then remove to wire-rack to cool completely.
Snickerdoodle: Toss Cookie in mixture 2 Tbsp Caster Sugar and 2 Tbsp Cinnamon before pressing flat onto greaseproof paper.
Gingerbread Cookies: Replace Sugar with Dark Muscovado and add alongside Flour:
1 Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Allspice
1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Ground Cloves
Pinch Black Pepper
(Or 4 Tsp Gingerbread Spice Blend)